Winter Renovation Projects for the Restless Homeowner
Project-Loving Renovators Don’t Have to Hibernate
By Mike Hall, Broker/Agent/Owner
For those homeowners who love to renovate, the winter can be a long, heatbreaking season. But even though it’s cold outside, you don’t have to sacrifice all of your to-do list dreams!
The winter is a great season for certain projects and an ideal time for planning and preparation. Here are five reasons why winter is a great time for the renovator:
- Contractors are more available! - Those booked-tight schedules are much more flexible for consultation and completion during the winter months. Those folks are itching for a good project, too!
- Material prices are cut for the down season. – The spring will bring with it those subtle hikes in cost for appliances, hardware, lumber, and tools. Act while the winter markets are sending the prices down.
- Modern clean-up products and techniques can contain dust and fumes even better than a gentle spring breeze. – While many people wait until warm weather makes clean up seem easier, there are plenty of options to contain dust and fumes in the winter.
- It’s often easier to get through the permit processes. – Again, fewer people are requesting permits, so government offices have more availability to get to your requests in a timely manner.
- Even some outside projects only take a mild day or two to complete. – You probably shouldn’t attempt to paint outside during the winter, but things like simple decks and sheds can be tackled pretty easily. Talk about motivation to finish!
[Source: McClurg Team]