Fall Home Maintenance in Louisville
Preemptive checklist to ensure your home stays cozy this winter.
by MIKE HALL, Owner/Broker/Agent
Louisville experienced our first frost of the season. With the cool weather underway, check off these fall maintenance items to ensure your home stays cozy:
- It's autumn, which means the leaves are falling, so pull on the gloves and clear out your gutters and downspouts.
- Seal cracks around windows and doors with calk, weather-stripping or tedious plastic.
- Look indoor for ceiling corrosion or leaks. Then grab a sturdy ladder, and a watchful buddy who is not easily distracted, as you carefully inspect the roof for any damaged or curled shingles. Hire a local roof repairman if afraid of heights.
- Check outdoor faucets for drips, and drain irrigation systems and hoses of water. Store your mower and empty any leftover gas.
- Clean or replace furnace filters. Make sure your heating system is running tip-top.
- Check fireplaces and chimneys for buildup, blocks, or a nesting mama bird before you fire up. Look up instructions for a DIY sweep, watch Mary Poppins, or schedule a cleaning from local chimney professionals.
- If you have a gas-fired heater, inspect to make sure it is working properly. Explosions are not fun.
- Test your smoke alarm, and inspect your (or buy a) fire extinguisher. Be comfortable enough with the instructions to know how to operate in the heat of the moment!
- Last but not least,...