How To Find the Right Agent When Buying or Selling
by MIKE HALL, Owner/Agent/Broker
So, you’ve decided to buy or sell a home. You may have a friend or family member who’s an agent. But do you know if they’re the right agent for you?
What’s the difference between a real estate agent, broker, and realtor?
Real Estate Agent: All real estate agents must be licensed in the state where they work and must abide by state and national laws.
Real Estate Broker: A broker has additional training beyond what an agent receives and has a broker license. Brokers must complete state-required courses and pass an exam and can oversee other agents.
Realtor: Realtors are licensed agents or brokers who are members of the National Association of Realtors and abide by the association’s standards and code of ethics.
How do you find the best?
1. Compare agents.
- Look at online reviews, including customer service.
- Ask friends for references and talk to former clients.
- Check credentials, such as ABR (Accredited Buyer’s Representative) and ASR (Accredited Seller Representative).
- Check the agent’s track record, including closing rate, closing time, and accurate pricing.
2. Interview agents.
- Ask questions such as how many homes they close on yearly, how will they help you buy/sell a home in this market, how will they communicate with you, what is their fee, do you need to sign a contract and is there a penalty to cancel, and how long they’ve been an agent.
3. Choose an agent.
- Expertise matters. Make sure the agent has knowledge not just about real estate, but also the local market. If it’s a selling agent, are they knowledgeable about new marketing techniques.
- Make sure you like and trust the agent. Will the agent help you in the process or cause more anxiety? Will they answer your questions or avoid you?
I think the best agents with local knowledge and marketing expertise work at Red Edge Realty and you can find the right-fit agent with us. Check out a list of agents organized by location when you select Agents from our homepage.
For more information on choosing the right agent, check out these articles: